Long Compost Crank® compost aeratorLotech Products LLC
Everything else about this tool is the same as the original Compost Crank®, with an extra 7 inches of working length. So for those of you looking for a longer tool for your taller compost bin, here it is! This longer tool originally came about because people were asking for a longer version for composting toilets, so we worked with David Omick (see quote below) to figure out the best size. With his expertise and advice, we are making available this option for a special 52 inch Compost Crank®!
- 52 inches long to give extra length while using to aerate taller compost bins and composting toilets.
- 36 inches working length for ease of use in taller compost bins and a standard 55 gallon barrel compost toilet system.
- Comfortable, easy to use, free-spinning, naturally UV stable, black nylon handles.
- Durable, stainless steel, rust resistant construction.
- Made in Tucson, Arizona on machinery we built from recycled parts.
- The tools are handcrafted, so minor variations are inherent.
- Handling time: Please allow for a handling time of 4-5 business days. This extra time is to allow for a surge in orders. We will usually ship in 1-2 business days.
- Important Tool Instructions
- Shipping, Policies, and Warranty
“I was recently asked by Lotech, the makers of the Compost Crank, for advice on designing a crank ideally sized for use with 55 gallon barrel composting systems. The result is their new, Special Long Composting Crank. It’s a perfect length for use with our Barrel Composting Toilet System or any other 55 gallon barrel composting system. While the shorter “standard” length works fine, the new, longer length is even better. It improves sanitation and convenience by allowing the user to crank to the bottom of the barrel while keeping both hands entirely outside of the barrel.
Except for the longer length, the Special Long Compost Crank is identical to the standard model. Both are, in a positive sense, anachronisms in that they’re American-made and built to last a lifetime.
(Please note that this is an unbiased review. Except for receiving a Special Long Compost Crank for testing, I have no affiliation with Lotech and have not received any financial compensation from them.)”
David Omick “Living Outside The Box”, of www.omick.net
Warning: Use of this tool has been known to cause people to rave about it to nongardening/noncomposting friends which makes them believe that you have finally lost your mind. Courtesy of Dan Speece, Mt. Airy, MD (The Duke of Dirt)
I found out about this off of Omick.net's instructions for barrel composting toilets. I got the longer one that reaches down into my 55 gallon drums. It does the trick nicely. Thanks.
I don't see it pulling stuff up from the bottom like I thought I would, but I'm doing better than I was with my other aerator. At least I can get through to the bottom of the compost bin now!
I love this compost crank. I finally was able to get my compost container to heat up and it’s so easy to use! I container is tall and I’m short so I stand on a folding stool and this is easy peasy to reach all of the way to the bottom! I actually saw steam coming out today! Yay!!!
Long Compost Crank® compost aerator
The compost crank is well made and arrived in good time. You can find videos out there for how to make something comparable for a tiny fraction of the cost using a tomato stake. Can't quite imagine what explains the price-point other than there not being anything else quite like it on the market at the moment.